[Moin-user] Moin HelpOnInstalling changes

Thilo Pfennig tpfennig at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 05:31:27 EDT 2006

2006/10/25, Rick Vanderveer <rvanderveer at cognitivearts.com>:

> I think it makes more sense to put the easier step-by-step guides at
> the top.  Each scenario will have all the full installation
> instructions to get Moin installed in every scenario.
>
> The idea, of course, is to make it easier for people to install and
> foster adoption.  Hope everyone else agrees.  :-)

I understand your idea but I think that the step-by-step guides are
not necessarily easier to work with. The only easy thing are the
desktop wikis.All other installations can be very different. I've
never and would never suggest anybopdy to follow teh step-by-step
guides. They give you some sense of what is important and what to do
when. But I think more importantly people need to understand the
parts. Because if they get stuck with a step-by-step guide they will
have no chance to finish installation.

Maybe we could have a QuickStart page that puts everything important
on one page (very condensed) but does not go into any details?

I think what many people will not understand is that with MoinMoin and
Python you have these seperated pages. This is why I think it is
problematic to show them the step-by-step guides first, too: Somebody
mught think that installing into an ftp only environment is a good
idea, while it is not. I think with MoinMoin it is SO important to
have total conrol over the server to be able to update/migrate or to
install newer Python 2.5 (I guess we will still see 2.4.x the next 3-4
years on most web servers)

So I also think we are missing suggestion what to choose best. I am
still unsure what is best when it comes to performance.

Thilo

--
Blog: http://vinci.wordpress.com
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tpfennig