[Moin-user] HOWTO setup Surge Protection?

Zoom Quiet zoom.quiet at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 18:32:04 EDT 2006

On 4/19/06, Thomas Waldmann <tw-public at gmx.de> wrote:
> >> it means that for some "action" you can do max "count" requests in "dt"
> >> seconds.
> > the key is what means "dt" sec. ?
>
> delta t (or short dt) is the usual abbreviaton for a time intervall.
>
> > 'edit': (10, 120),
> > is equal to 'edit': (1, 12),  ??
>
> If you assume equal request distribution over time, it is the same.
>
> If you don't assume that (and on the internet you can't assume that), it
> is not the same as in the first case you can have a burst of 9 requests
> in 1 second and 1 request in the next 119 seconds  and it still is ok
> because it is 10r in 120s total. In the second case 9 request in 1
> second will trigger surge protection as you only allow 1 request in 12
> seconds (bad idea for most actions except rss_rc maybe).

Yeah! thanx for u bovine explain! so warmhearted !
the dt is the time area of Surge Protection to account action!
so sorry , through the code i can understand self, but ....

btw , i be warning by "?action=info" , but i can not find this kind
action Surge Protection option?
and in the surge_action_limits
what means "'default': (30, 60)," ? it's limit others action, not
listed in surge_action_limits?

> >> and it counts by IP if you are not logged in.
> > Mnn this is good.
> > but can we option two kinds Surge Protection for two kinds visitor?
> > such as, for not login user limit more, fro loged user limit light?
>
> This is not implemented. And as surge protection is not intended to
> prefer logged-in users (or punish not-logged-in users), but to avoid
> high load conditions due to abuse, there is no difference if the abuse
> is done by a logged in user or an unknown user.
>
> If it triggers too often for you, just configure higher limits.

thanx for all!

"""Time is unimportant, only life important!
blogging  :  http://blog.zoomquiet.org/pyblosxom/
wiki enter:   http://wiki.woodpecker.org.cn/moin/ZoomQuiet
in douban:  http://www.douban.com/people/zoomq/
"""