[Moin-user] Re: open target in another window? (skip at pobox.com)

Roger Haase crosseyedpenguin at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 09:00:04 EST 2005

--- Nir Soffer <nirs at freeshell.org> wrote:

> I think the removal of that feature was good decision, and there is
> no
> need to bring it back. However, when features like this are removed,
> they should be first depreciated and only then removed, and there
> should be a migration tool to remove such markup from exiting pages.

While opening a new window with a link was deprecated in HTML 4, I took
it to mean there were better alternatives to do the same thing, namely
Javascript.

I agree with the general design principle that opening a new window can
sometimes be annoying to a user, but there are instances where it can
be useful.

For example, most people will agree that rollover tooltips are
generally useful (but sometimes annoying).  There are situations where
the extra help the user needs is just too complex to put into a
tooltip. As the page designer, you want to make it easy for the user to
access the information if he needs it and then continue with the
current page.  One solution is to click a link, open a new window, read
the info, close the window.

I just uploaded a macro called NewWindows2 to the macro mart that I
have been using since the feature was removed from Moin.  It is a minor
modification of the 1.1 NewWindow macro to use Javascript instead of
the deprecated HTML function.

Roger Haase