[Microbit-Python] hi, i have some question in MicroPython

Jim Mussared jim at groklearning.com
Fri Oct 14 02:33:07 EDT 2016

On 13 October 2016 at 20:00, 김화목 <hwamok7712 at naver.com> wrote:

> i'm so interesting in Micro:bit and MicroPython
>
> so trying to looking at MicroPython
>
> In github there are two kind of mudule.
>
> one is [https://github.com/bbcmicrobit/micropython]
>
> other is [https://github.com/lancaster-university]
>

> what diffrent are they? (Dal & micropython)

hi,

The first is the MicroPython implementation for the micro:bit, based on
mbed. This is where you want to add new features or Python modules.

The second is a library of hardware abstractions (DAL stands for "device
abstraction layer") which is common code used to implement micro:bit
firmwares. i.e. take a look at MicrobitDisplay.h/cpp to see how it
implements the display multiplexing.

The slightly confusing thing is that the MicroPython firmware uses quite
little from the DAL now (e.g. it doesn't actually use that MicrobitDisplay
class).

I think the simplest way to look at it is to just focus on the main repo (
https://github.com/bbcmicrobit/micropython) and be aware that sometimes
it'll call into code provided by the DAL.

> and finally my goal is make new MicroPython library in Micro:bit

Look at something like modantigravity for a simple example (
https://github.com/bbcmicrobit/micropython/blob/master/source/microbit/modantigravity.cpp)
or modneopixel for a more complicated one that uses the hardware (
https://github.com/bbcmicrobit/micropython/blob/master/source/microbit/modneopixel.cpp
)