[Microbit-Python] Uploading of HEX files

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Tue Mar 8 15:45:29 EST 2016

Hi Andrew,

We already do extraction from a MicroPython hex file.

>From the command line you can use the uflash utility to do so (see the
documentation here: http://uflash.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Alternatively, the Mu editor will do this conversion automatically via
the "load" button. See: https://github.com/ntoll/mu

Finally, the microbit.co.uk website is created by Microsoft - it's their
code that converts the TouchDevelop based hex files back into the
source. However, since Python and TouchDevelop are completely different
languages / platforms this functionality does not work in TouchDevelop
for MicroPython based hex files. There is a ticket in the system to make
it work but this, obviously, depends on user feedback and prioritisation
from the BBC and Microsoft.

I hope this helps.

N.