[Microbit-Python] Towards a 1.0

David Whale david at thinkingbinaries.com
Mon Jan 11 04:45:50 EST 2016

Hi Nicholas,

There are a couple of inaccuracies in your comparative statements:

* (while the official web-based "TouchDevelop" is great, it doesn't allow
you to automaticallyflash the device, doesn't include a REPL connection for
live coding andrequires that you're always connected to the internet)*

1) "automatically flash": You can automatically flash the device using the
micro:bit uploader:
https://www.touchdevelop.com/microbituploader

2) "REPL" It's true, there is no REPL for blocks, code kingdoms or touch
develop. They are all compiled languages without an interpretive runtime on
the device, so this will probably always be the USP of MicroPython and I
love it :) I'm sure one day though Microsoft will implement a remote
debugger (it's not that hard, you only have to hook into the top loop), but
it's still not the same as a REPL for an on-device interpreted language.

3) "always connected": You don't have to always be connected to the
internet. You only have to connect once to get the editor cached in the
browser cache, then you can use it offline indefinitely as the compiler is
in the browser and the scripts are stored in the browser cache.

The latest statement on the help pages say that children no longer need to
log in. We use 28 laptops repeatedly without internet access and use
TouchDevelop in schools with the micro:bit, and this works reliably
providing you have cached the editor once. The kids use the new in browser
SAVE and IMPORT features to transport their code around via USB memory
sticks, which they are used to doing with all their other courses.

4) Also, don't forget, while MicroPython performs well, it is a *lot*
slower than the other languages, because it is interpreted.

I love MicroPython though, really enjoying using it!

David Whale, B.Sc (Hons), MIET
*Software Engineer and IET Schools Liaison Officer, Essex*

email:  dwhale at theiet.org
twitter: @whaleygeek
blog:  blog.whaleygeek.co.uk

Co-author of global bestselling book "Adventures in Minecraft"
<http://amzn.to/ZGfxZG> - lets get kids coding!
Now in English, Spanish, Chinese and Russian.