[Microbit-Python] Flat API

Alan alainjackson at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 23 01:25:05 CEST 2015

Sometimes when agreement doesn't come easily it can be because the goal isn't clear to everyone.... which made think that perhaps the goal isn't clear to me.

What is the goal of micro:bit?

Is it to teach 11 year-olds good programming skills?

Or is it to inspire 11 year-olds with an interest in problem solving, STEM etc.?

If it's the first, then there's a strong case to make our designs "proper", even at the expense of making things a bit more difficult for the novice initially.

If it's the second then the emphasis changes and it's more weighted towards accessibility, I think.

I realise I've been assuming the goal is the second and I'm happy to be corrected if it's not.

In my mind the micro:bit is it's own fun little problem solving universe. It doesn't have a web browser or built in games (yay!) - it's only going to do what you make it do. It's amazing that you can program it in python. Even if it happened to use some non-standard variant of python or its API wasn't completely "proper" it wouldn't really bother me... iff we're aiming for the second goal. If we're aiming for the first, it would bother me.

When I suggested a flat version of the API I wasn't just thinking about 11 year-olds and their typing or spelling ski11z, I was thinking about teachers and myself. I'm wondering if, in the classroom (which is only one situation of its use), it's going to feel more like "live coding". It really did for me when we were all round the table at pycon and Nick was saying "You've got 20 minutes to make something interesting", and I was coding on the REPL, continuously recreating my program with the up arrow and finding out the command history is only 10 lines.

If these thoughts aren't useful or are bike-shedding, please ignore them. I don't want to waste your valuable time and distract you from the cool stuff you're doing.

Cheers,

Alan