[Microbit-Python] Open sourcing the code

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Wed Oct 21 00:55:36 CEST 2015

Hi Folks,

I'm still mid-answering emails after today's announcement.

My 2c - I think the biggest blocker will be the BBC. Basically, they
have lawyers and infosec people who want to audit / know who is
responsible for the code. They are (quite rightly) concerned with who
has access to the code given that it's such a high profile project for
the BBC. A high profile project that includes children. There are all
sorts of onerous ramifications if things go wrong. Having some trusted
gatekeepers helps our cause in this respect: and I agree that trust goes
a long way - but these are lawyers we're dealing with here... ;-)

Ergo how about the following middle ground..?

Those people who had push rights on this list can have them re-installed
if they want them. We appease the BBC because you've already been "let
in", as it were, to the circle of trust. This would certainly help
mitigate against a low bus factor.

Henceforth, if new people want push rights they'll need to prove they
are legitimate, capable and ethical contributors.

Does that make sense? (It may not, because I've been up since 5am and I
still have 10 emails to reply to and I'm feeling a bit frazzled at the
moment).

As always, I'm more than happy to discuss any/all of the above and move
forward in a way so that we achieve a consensus that everyone is happy
with.

Comments, constructive critique and good ideas are most welcome!

Best wishes,

N.