[Microbit-Python] Open sourcing the code

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Tue Oct 20 09:46:48 CEST 2015

Hi Folks,

We're very please that the BBC have finally allowed us to open source
our repos. As a result we're going to have to change the permissions on
it now that it's vaguely public.

The new repository is here:

https://github.com/bbcmicrobit/micropython

Its hosted under the auspices of the BBC because that gives us
legitimacy and acknowledges we're actually part of the "official"
micro:bit effort (which we've always been, but because of NDA have been
unable to talk about).

Damien has announced MicroPython's involvement in the project here:

http://forum.micropython.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1042

I have blogged the historical context here:

http://ntoll.org/article/story-micropython-on-microbit

I'll be submitting something to tech news places later. Here's hoping
people get interested. As a starter, here's the link to my submission on
Hacker News:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10417919

Please up-vote..!

Because we're now "open" we're going to use the standard GitHub
fork->branch->PR methodology that people are used to. Ergo, we're going
to revoke push access for everyone except for Damien (and probably me as
backup) - who will act as official gatekeeper.

Please fork the repos!

If this is a real pain in the neck for you we'll re-add you if you let
us know.

Best wishes,

Nicholas.