[Microbit-Python] flashing the Microbit

Radomir Dopieralski microbit at sheep.art.pl
Sun Nov 29 05:11:03 EST 2015

Hi Mark,

this is a bit unintuitive, indeed.

You see, when you connect micro:bit to the USB port of your computer,
it becomes visible as a serial port, but also as a storage device with
some files in there. You can read those files for basic help. You can
also simply copy the .hex file onto that storage device, to have it
uploaded as the new firmware. You will not see the file in there after
you copy it, though, because it's not really added to the filesystem --
hence people say it's hidden.

I hope that helps.

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 22:48:39 +1300
Mark Schafer <mschafer at wireframe.biz> wrote:

> I've got my Ubuntu14.04 compiling using Yotta and I'm getting a hex
> file. But I've looked and just can't find out how to get the newly
> built hex file onto the Microbit from Linux.
>
> - On here it doesn't say:
>       https://github.com/bbcmicrobit/micropython
> - I've used dfutils (from windows) for the stm version of the
> hardware but I don't think that's going to work for the Microbit
> - This page (https://github.com/bbcmicrobit/PythonEditor) suggests I
> can send it over on a serial connection if I install pyserial and
> determine which tty its on.
>      - it also seems to be suggesting the .hex file is a hidden file
> (but I can't see it on the unit that arrived in the mail) when doing
> a directory listing on the Microbit plugged into windows..?
>
> Where is this extra info - bound to be there - I just can't find it :(
>
> Thanks, Mark...

Radomir Dopieralski