[Microbit-Python] Python on the MicroBit. The PSF's suggested solution.

Michael sparks.m at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 18:53:13 CEST 2015

Have read the document.

Micropython works on the device? Micropython works on the device!
That's *astonishingly
awesome*, especially considering everything else discussed there.

I'm truly astonished and think that's an amazing accomplishment. It's a *far
FAR *better solution that I could have hoped for. When I was putting the
prototype micro:bit and system together this simply wasn't due to the
constraints we had then - which led to the python/c++ compiler tool chain
approach (I checked Micropython and Pymite last october). This is really
cool.

The production microbit being a larger device with more RAM/Flash allowing
this is IMO a far far better solution.

*Howard, Fiona: *The proposed option *eliminates* the need for a compile
step at all for python. You can still have a browser based editor - but
rather than having it sent to a server for compilation, you could simply
download the file/save locally. You can retain all the same branding etc,
you can have the files hosted on the same platform as the rest I would
assume (since they could be static content I guess), but you sidestep the
need to worry about the touch develop platform.

Ignoring all the technical benefits that this brings, it brings a major
extra - it means that if in a week, a year, 2 years, 5 years, hosting for a
compiler site went away, children using them in Y8, Y9, Y12 would still be
able to use their devices, so long as they were in "python mode".

*Nick:* I'm not sure how quickly your mail will be read - I know there's
things happening tomorrow, and I'll be there, so I'll see if I can point
Howard/Fiona in this direction allow with your specific requests.
(Hopefully they'll both see this beforehand)

None of this is even vaguely my call, but I think this is really really
fantastic progress :-)

Michael.