[meta-sig] Retired SIGS, SIG ownership

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:05:23 -0400 (EDT)

Jeremy Hylton writes:
 > 2) What's the point of having sigs?  In the absence of a maintainable
 >    Python Web site, I can't tell the difference between a SIG and a
 >    mailing list.  We seem to create mailing lists without any meta-sig
 >    process, e.g. iterators, sets, crypto.  Does the existence of SIGs
 >    make a difference to anyone?

  I think of SIGs as pretty much being a mailing list as well.  The
biggest advantage of Python SIGs is that there's a list so people can
discover what lists are available.
  A maintainable Web site would be a big boost, however.  Perhaps SIGs
should be able to get a wiki (at the champion's/participants'
discretion) for presenting information to non-members?  That would be
relatively easy to set up and shouldn't require much webmaster
attention.  How useful it would be would depend entirely on the SIG
and SIG members responsible for managing it.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Digital Creations