[meta-sig] Switchover to mailman

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@CNRI.Reston.Va.US (Barry A. Warsaw)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:39:52 -0500 (EST)

    GS> Can we concentrate on *usability* ? If somebody wants your
    GS> address, then they'll get it simply by trolling the
    GS> archives. Let's just face that fact and make the site as
    GS> helpful and as useful as possible.

Here here!  I've long been resigned to a certain amount of spam
because of my 'net presence.  What bugs me more is evil-doers spamming
through a mailing list, and I think the policies and filters Ken's got
in place will stop most of that.

    Guido> Let me reiterate.  I want my name to be visible and I want
    Guido> *people* to be able to find out my email (even in a quick
    Guido> cut-and-paste-able way) but I want to put up something in
    Guido> the way of crawlers that are specifically out there to grab
    Guido> email addresses.

Here here!

    Guido> The Findmail solution is the right way to go, I think.

As usual, Guido's got the right sense of where to make the compromise.
That, coupled with the ability for users to select total anonymity if
they want (and if they understand how their identities can be reveal,
e.g. by posting to an archived list), should satisfy most people.

-Barry