[meta-sig] Switchover to mailman

Ken Manheimer klm@python.org
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 14:21:40 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> Guido van Rossum writes:
> >I suppose the SIG page would eventually have a link to that page (in
> >fact I wonder why it doesn't yet) which would be a dead giveaway.
>
> 	This raises a new question for me; I'm working on resurrecting
> the Web archives of the SIG lists, and currently e-mail addresses are
> turned into mailto: URLs, which could easily get crawled.  Should this
> policy be changed?
>
> 	To some degree the damage is already done; the archives were
> live at Magnet for a while, so they may already have been crawled by
> spiders looking for e-mail addresses.  But it's still worth fixing
> this if people think it necessary.  We'd have to write a mailto CGI,
> and put some simple database underneath it.

It seems to me that this level of indirection would do the trick, and it
seems like a good idea.  I have some reluctance, though, about adding
yet another system to the installation.  I'm currently thinking it's a
good exercise to keep a duplicate copy of a public system going, not
just for the sake of an offline place to experiment with changes, but
also as a measure of how hard it is to manage the system in the first
place - and i'm noticing that the number of separate but interdependent
sub components makes an enourmous difference in the difficulty of
replicating the system.  I guess there are *some* benefits to either
monolithic systems or independent sub components...

Ken