[PYTHON META-SIG] Re: pattern-sig -- tired of waiting...

Barry A. Warsaw Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 15:54:22 -0500

    ML> Ahem. Didn't you get all the mails concerning BSCW and setting
    ML> up a server to work on ? The mission can't be much more exact
    ML> because it is the very nature of patterns and the like to be
    ML> as general as possible.

I've got some of them, and I've taken a look at BSCW.  It's got some
cool features (although it seems unusable with Grail :-( ).  I'm a
little worried about its experimental nature and it less-than-open
policy:

    "So, there are wuite sone "don't do's" like: don't do any serious
     work with it, don't create other, personal workspaces, don't
     upload huge files and don't invite the whole Python community."

If BSCW were to be an intergral part of PatternSIG, it ought to be
open to any member of the SIG, which is potentially open to anybody.

I certainly don't mean to take anything away from BSCW itself.  It
looks really cool!

    ML> The goal is to make code available that implements at least
    ML> some of the GOF-patterns in a reusable way. Apart from that,
    ML> gathering all the idioms and tricks floating around the net is
    ML> a very useful task and should be done by someone, so why not
    ML> us ?  Our "products" would then be web pages explaining these
    ML> findings.

Great.  A SIG mission statement written with this focus is what I'm
looking for!

I don't want to be a stick in the mud.  There's no formal process for
voting on SIG creation (maybe there needs to be one as the PSA
grows).  I didn't get an overwhelming clamor from hordes of people to
start a PatternSIG and I suspect most people are just unsure what such
a SIG would accomplish.  A more focused mission statement might help
with this.  See:

    <http://www.python.org/sigs/guidelines.html>

Then I'll put it to a `vote' on meta-sig and see what the response is.

-Barry