[PYTHON META-SIG] RFC: TEXT-SIG

Robin Friedrich friedric@rose.rsoc.rockwell.com
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 08:07:34 -0600

While I agree that this sig should be a focused thing, I don't feel
that allowing other facets of text processing enter into it to be a
defocusing force. In general the folks contributing efforts toward a
new regex module are not going to be sidetracked by discussions about
string concatenation. I think contributions in the regex and non-regex
area will come from different individuals (I for one won't be
contributing any regex code, just opinions;-) so I don't see
discussions of non-regex nature to be harmful.

Indeed, I think we can take the project focus a little too far. In that
case we should call these things Project Mail Lists rather than Special
Interest Groups. I have an interest in efficient text processing not
just regex so it seems over constrained to have a regex-sig,
string-sig, formatting-sig, etc., preordained.  I vote for it being
called TEXT-SIG with a focus on regex and other text processing tools.
(If it's a regex-sig would I be flamed for bringing up a replacement
for regsub?)

Greg's point is good - have people pony up ideas and see what gets
worked.  If another topic grows in popularity than we can fork and
exec. That's how the Image-Sig spawned from the Matrix-Sig.  Trying to
predict this kind of thing ahead of time is dubious in my view.  The
success indicator of SIGS seems to be whether or not someone is
willing to do lots of good programming. That really doesn't change as a
function of the SIG's name.

-Robin Friedrich