[melbourne-pug] Install ‘conda’ using Debian package manager

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Aug 1 22:11:54 EDT 2017

Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> writes:

> Instead, how can I use the operating-system package manager [to
> install] the necessary tools? I don't see an Anaconda package in
> Debian, and there is no discussion I can find on how to do this.

There is a ‘conda’ package on PyPI. That doesn't do what I need; the
‘conda’ package doesn't behave correctly with ‘python3 -m’::

    $ VIRTUAL_ENV=~/.virtualenvs/foo
    $ python3 -m venv "$VIRTUAL_ENV"
    $ source "$VIRTUAL_ENV"/bin/activate
    (foo) $ python3 -m pip install conda
    (foo) $ python3 -m conda env create --name foo -f ~/Desktop/foo_requirements.yaml
    usage: __main__.py [-h] [-V] command ...
    __main__.py: error: argument command: invalid choice: '/home/bignose/.virtualenvs/foo/lib/python3.6/site-packages/conda/__main__.py' (choose from 'info', 'help', 'list', 'search', 'create', 'install', 'update', 'upgrade', 'remove', 'uninstall', 'config', 'clean', 'package')

Perhaps it installs a ‘conda’ command that will work instead? But no::

    (foo) $ conda env create --name foo -f ~/Desktop/foo_requirements.yaml
    ERROR: The install method you used for conda--probably either `pip install conda`
    or `easy_install conda`--is not compatible with using conda as an application.
    If your intention is to install conda as a standalone application, currently
    supported install methods include the Anaconda installer and the miniconda
    installer.  You can download the miniconda installer from
    https://conda.io/miniconda.html.

So, how can I use the package managers already vetted on this machine,
to avoid running some arbitrary shell script, and get Anaconda working
correctly?

--
 \       “If consumers even know there's a DRM, what it is, and how it |
  `\     works, we've already failed.” —Peter Lee, Disney corporation, |