[melbourne-pug] Facebook group for MPUG created

Chris Miles miles.chris at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 23:46:42 CET 2009

On 26/03/2009, at 9:33 AM, Tennessee Leeuwenburg wrote:

> I felt that the addition of the Facebook group might help to
> stimulate additional interest in Python for anyone based in
> Melbourne. In due course, I would love to look into re-starting face-
> to-face events, but for the time being I think we need to re-build
> some momentum for the group. Forgive me for doing so on my own
> initiative, but due to the group inactivity I felt that it was
> reasonably appropriate for me to do so. Apologies if I have upset
> any stakeholders in the group, but I do hope this will help Python
> developers in Melbourne to connect and find colleagues and
> conversation partners in their local areas.

Good call.  Anything to help promote the group and hopefully kickstart
some activity in a community that appears to have stagnated.

It would be great if someone could take the initiative to organise
meetups again.  I moved back from London roughly a year ago where, in
the course of the 6 years that I was there, the London Python group
had grown from a relatively small (5-6 people) pub meetup to a much
more respectable (20-30) and more organised event hosted at
Thoughtworks with local speakers (followed by pub of course).  I was
hoping the Melbourne group might be just as active, given the high
calibre of Aus-based Pythonistas.

(I know - why don't I get off my ass and organise meetups? I'm
hopeless at that sort of thing. Much better at attending and drinking
the beer and helping to make it interesting)

Cheers,
Chris