[Matrix-SIG] Build problem under Solaris 2.6

Clay Spence x3039 cspence@sarnoff.com
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:31:46 -0500

Hi,

I'm having a problem building release 14 under Solaris 2.6 with Sun's C
compiler.  The following occurs:

cholla 332% python setup.py build install
running build
<snip>
Src/_numpymodule.c:
"Src/_numpymodule.c", line 48: undefined symbol:
PyArray_FromDimsAndDataAndDescr_NUM
"Src/_numpymodule.c", line 48: undefined symbol:
PyArray_FromDimsAndDataAndDescr
cc: acomp failed for Src/_numpymodule.c

It does not seem to be a limitation on preprocessor symbol names.  I can
define PyArray_FromDimsAndDataAndDescr_NUM myself in a very short test
program and it compiles with no problem.  However, the following file
gives the same error:

-----------
#include <stdio.h>
#include "Python.h"
#define _ARRAY_MODULE
#include "arrayobject.h"

int
main()
{
  printf("%d\n", PyArray_Type_NUM);
  printf("%d\n", PyArray_FromDimsAndDataAndDescr_NUM);
  return 0;
}

It doesn't complain about PyArray_Type_NUM.  The presence or absence of
"#define _ARRAY_MODULE" doesn't affect the error.  Older versions (I
think 11 was the last I tried) compiled fine.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Clay