[Matrix-SIG] Fortran-to-python-interface-generator: looking for opinions

Paul F. Dubois dubois1@llnl.gov
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 09:57:54 -0700

> intent(temporary) doesn't appear to be standard f90, f95, or proposed f2k.
>
> I think you actually get better results by _not_ declaring the intent of
> such a variable and using the compiler's options for what to do about
> automatic variables. This is probably why intent(temporary) isn't standard
> and may never be.

intent(temporary) is an option in Pyfort, not Fortran. It indicates that the
user WANTS this array
created by the tool. If the user doesn't want it, don't use it.

The point is to allow a simpler calling sequence for the Python user. Again,
if you don't think that is a good idea,  you simply declare all arrays as
inout and Pyfort doesn't touch them.