[Matrix-SIG] LLNL11 build problem.

Joe Van Andel vanandel@ucar.edu
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:25:19 -0600

I've found a problem with the build procedure for LLNL11. When building
'Numeric', it installs arrayobject.h in
/local/include/python1.5/numeric/arrayobject.h

When LLNLDistribution11/Graphics is built, the compilation of Gist only
searches /local/include/python1.5
i.e.:

gcc   -I/usr/local/lib/yorick/1.4/h -g -O2 -I/local/include/python1.5 -I/local/include/python1.5 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c ./Gist/Src/gistCmodule.c

In my case, I was accidently referencing an obsolete version of
arrayobject.h, that had not been over-written.  It was lacking the
'import_array' definition, so I couldn't use the Gist module I had just
built.

Also, I'm seeing a compile warning:

./Gist/Src/gistCmodule.c:88: warning: `PyFPE_END_PROTECT' redefined
/local/include/python1.5/pyfpe.h:169: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

Finally, I'd delete the 'install' target in the generated Makefile, if
possible.  It installs gistCmodule.so arrayfnsmodule.so in

/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages,

where 'installthis.py' puts the shared libraries in the
gist and arrayfcns subdirectories.

This only causes confusion if you accidently type 'make install' (a
hard habit to break!), because then you can end up with 2 different
versions of the same file.

Joe VanAndel  		Internet: vanandel@ucar.edu
National Center for	http://www.atd.ucar.edu/~vanandel/home.html
Atmospheric Research