[Matrix-SIG] Interfaces to some common FORTRAN routines.

Paul F. Dubois dubois1@llnl.gov
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:38:34 -0700

I don't normally preannounce products but since you ask, I am nearing
completion on a Python module called PyFort. PyFort translates an input
format which is highly similar to F90 interface blocks into Python module
glue. Although I know others have tools that use SWIG, my feeling was the
Fortran programmers need something that is more or less in their language
and which at least has the potential to someday handle real F90 interfaces.

PyFort is, of course, being written in 100% Pure Python.

Here is the input to my test routine, for example:
! Sample interface description file for Python/Fortran connection tool.
! Paul F. Dubois dubois1@llnl.gov
! More than one module is allowed, this file just has one.

module testpyf
    ! testpyf contains doit, times, and bang and others
    function doit(x)
        ! y = doit(x) returns y = x**2
        ! x must be a Python float.
        doubleprecision x !scalar float
        doubleprecision doit !returns scalar float
    end

    subroutine times(x, y, n, w)
       ! times(x, y, n, w) sets w(i) = x(i) * y(i), i = 1, n
       doubleprecision, intent(in)::  x(n), y(n) ! must have size n
       doubleprecision, intent(out):: w(n)
       integer n
    end subroutine

    subroutine ctimes(x, y, n, w)
       !for complex x, y, w, ctimes(x, y, n, w) sets w(i) = x(i) * y(i), i =
1, n
       complex, intent(in)::  x(n), y(n) ! must have size n
       complex, intent(out):: w(n)
       integer n
    end subroutine

    function bang( r, ra, n, k, c, t)
        integer n, k
        complex c(2)
        real r, ra(n), bang
        real, intent(temporary):: t(n, k)
    end function bang

    function two (a, n, m, k, b, c)
        real two
        integer n, m, k
        real a(n, m), b(m, k)
        real, intent(out):: c(n, k)
    end function two

    subroutine noreturn ()
    end subroutine noreturn

    function sarg (s, x)
 ! sarg(s) if s is 'yes', will return 1, otherwise 0
        integer, intent(out):: sarg, x(1)
        character*(*) s
    end subroutine sarg

end module testpyf

! Comments here are ignored

--- ok, that is the input.
The comments immediately after the subroutine signature are called "head
comments". Head comments become the doc string. A separate file is printed
giving the python calling sequence, as shown below. Right now this is for me
to use to debug pyfort, but cleaned up a little it will serve users as
documentation on how they call various routines. I haven't thought about
routines with arguments that are externals, although that would obviously be
a good thing.  The rules are pretty simple. The outputs are the routine
result if any followed by any of the Fortran arguments that had intent out
or inout.  If there is <= 1 output that is the result, otherwise you get a
tuple. The special intent "temporary" is used for "work arrays" so the
Python user need not create them a priori.

------------
Procedures in module testpyf

----------- doit ------------
y = doit(x) returns y = x**2
x must be a Python float.
Calling sequence: result = doit(x)
          doubleprecision, intent(out):: doit ()
          doubleprecision, intent(in):: x ()

----------- times ------------
times(x, y, n, w) sets w(i) = x(i) * y(i), i = 1, n
Calling sequence: w = times(x, y, n)
          doubleprecision, intent(in):: x (n)
          doubleprecision, intent(in):: y (n)
          integer, intent(in):: n ()
          doubleprecision, intent(out):: w (n)

----------- ctimes ------------
for complex x, y, w, ctimes(x, y, n, w) sets w(i) = x(i) * y(i), i = 1, n
Calling sequence: w = ctimes(x, y, n)
          complex, intent(in):: x (n)
          complex, intent(in):: y (n)
          integer, intent(in):: n ()
          complex, intent(out):: w (n)

----------- bang ------------

Calling sequence: result = bang(r, ra, n, k, c)
          real, intent(out):: bang ()
          real, intent(in):: r ()
          real, intent(in):: ra (n)
          integer, intent(in):: n ()
          integer, intent(in):: k ()
          complex, intent(in):: c (2)
          real, intent(temporary):: t (n, k)

----------- two ------------

Calling sequence: result, c = two(a, n, m, k, b)
          real, intent(out):: two ()
          real, intent(in):: a (n, m)
          integer, intent(in):: n ()
          integer, intent(in):: m ()
          integer, intent(in):: k ()
          real, intent(in):: b (m, k)
          real, intent(out):: c (n, k)

Calling sequence: noreturn()

sarg(s) if s is 'yes', will return 1, otherwise 0
Calling sequence: result, x = sarg(s)
          integer, intent(out):: sarg ()
          character*(*), intent(in):: s ()
          integer, intent(out):: x (1)