[Matrix-SIG] Re: blitz++ vs. NumPy?

Rob Hooft r.hooft@euromail.net
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 08:58:22 +0100 (MET)

There is a lot of discussion about the subject, but I haven't seen
anyone that was worried about their own extensions to NumPy that would
need to be rewritten if NumPy would be redesigned.

I'd like to express this worry for my code.... The current design of
NumPy works great for me.

Another worry is that almost inevitably the copy/overwrite policy of
array objects will change when an external library is used. This means
largely incompatible changes at the Python level as well.

I agree that there are a few points where my code could benefit from
some reprogramming:

- If I profile the code, it seems a lot of my time is spent in arrayrange,
  I might be tricked into rewriting this beast in C for my purposes.
- Sometimes I concatenate 20 576x625 arrays, to a 20x576x625 array, at
  the concatenation time, this means all data is there twice. However,
  I do not see how to avoid this problem.

For the rest I have rewritten a few subroutines that took too much
time in C as extensions of NumPy (eg variants on 'clip'), and I don't
really feel like doing that again....

Am I really alone?

Rob

--