[Matrix-SIG] Re: blitz++ vs. NumPy?

Andrew P. Mullhaupt amullhau@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 01:09:18 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul F. Dubois <dubois1@llnl.gov>
To: Andrew P. Mullhaupt <amullhau@ix.netcom.com>; matrix-sig@python.org
<matrix-sig@python.org>
Date: Thursday, December 17, 1998 12:32 AM
Subject: Re: [Matrix-SIG] Re: blitz++ vs. NumPy?

>>I haven't seen any C++ tools yet that had memory management that was
>>industrial strength performance. Is anyone familiar enough with Blitz++
and
>>advanced VM to know whether they knew which way was up when they wrote it?
>>
>The most superficial survey of the literature will answer your question in
>the affirmative.

Such a survey makes it look to me like the answer is negative.

It looks to me like special array constructors would have to be written to
accommodate things like ephemeral mapped file storage, since I saw no
facility for managing the namespace mapping from objects to file systems. It
also looks like users who want to provide path resources for mapped objects
will have to write their own constructors, and keep track of operations to
determine when the file handles can be closed.

Looks to me like Blitz expects to manage the VM resources underlying arrays
as if they were on the heap, as opposed to full fledged VM objects.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt