[MATRIX-SIG] reverse of take?

Zane C. Motteler motteler@laura.llnl.gov
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 07:37:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Aaron Watters wrote:

>Okay, stupid question time.

No such thing.

>Been fiddling with numeric recently and I can't seem
>to find or derive an "inverse" to take.  Ie, I'd like a
>builtin that will set a collection of values scattered about
>inside an array.

You and me both.

>or whatever.  Sorry if this kinda thing
>is already there.  Please educate me.  -- Aaron Watters

You're right, Numeric has no such capability. I needed this almost from
the first, and in fact I have written a handy-dandy little C extension
called arrayfnsmodule which contains this and a number of other
Yorick-like capabilities that I found necessary.

Our anonymous ftp site contains an entire python1.4 distribution which
contains not only this module, but also graphics modules which connect
to Gist and Narcisse graphics engines (among other things). The ftp site
is ftp-icf.llnl.gov; look in /ftp/pub/python/busby for
python1.4+patches+NumPy.tgz. Just for the heck of it, I have put
arrayfnsmodule.c.gz into /ftp/pub/python/motteler. Feel free to use
whatever you need.

Zane

Zane C. Motteler, Ph. D.                  ___________ALSO:_________________
Computer Scientist                        | Professor Emeritus of Computer|
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory    |   Science and Engineering     |
P O Box 808, L-472                        | California Polytechnic State  |
Livermore, CA 94551-9900                  |   University, San Luis Obispo |
FAX 510/423-9969
zcm@llnl.gov or motteler@laura.llnl.gov or zmottel@calpoly.edu