[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Re: Saving HUGE arrays

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:07:43 -0500

> > My proposal exactly matches your item (2), so we may be on to
> > something...
>
> But the other items are also important. Suppose you want to
> transfer data between two streams, which each have restrictions
> on buffer size. Something must mediate between the two.

Hm.  A proper stream protocol should never refuse to write more data
than what fits in its buffer (it should just flush the buffer and
refill it until it has processed all the data).  When asked to read
the next chunk it may return as much or as little as it has available
in its buffer.

But anyway, a stream protocol needs serious thought before it is
added, because it has big ramifications.  A buffer interface could be
added with very little effort and could be immediately useful.