[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Naming Conventions And Practical Experience

Konrad HINSEN hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 09:53:24 -0500

   BTW: what about work on standard packages?; I'd very much like some
   linear algebra stuff, for example to invert matrices (but don't know
   enough about it to contribute).  In addition, I'd would like to use

I agree that this would be useful, both directly and indirectly by
providing a real-life example of a C or Fortran extension.

Such extensions should also be considered in the big naming debate.  A
"everything in methods" strategy won't work, because a module can't
define methods for objects implemented in another module. So all
linear-algebra (or other application-specific) operations have to be
implemented as functions. This suggests that built-in functions of the
array module should also be functions unless there is some clear
semantic difference.

A difficult decision for linear algebra is which library to use. My
experience is limited to Fortran libraries, of which I had the best
results with LAPACK. There is a C version of LAPACK, which however I
have never used. There are also a couple of LA libraries directly
designed for C, rather than being translations from Fortran.

It would certainly be easiest to use a C library, which eliminates all
the Fortran interfacing machine dependencies and doesn't force users
to have a Fortran compiler. On the other hand, Fortran libraries are
better tested and on some systems (such as SGI) the performance
difference is enormous.

Any comments? Does anyone have experience with a C library for linear
algebra?

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-Ville     | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)