[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Just checking in

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Thu, 29 Aug 96 19:25:04 +0100

>  KH> But I mainly write to express dissatisfaction with the way dot()
>  KH> works now. I have been doing some matrix work recently, and not
>  KH> being able to use dot() for matrix multiplication is a real
>  KH> nuisance. I ended up redefining dot() to be LinAlg._dot2, which
>  KH> is exactly the kind of thing to be avoided.
>
> Why don't you define a MatrixMultiply routine that calls LinAlg._dot2?
> You don't need to redefine dot, do you?

I am using this interactively, so "MatrixMultiply" has no chance.  I
redefined dot() because to me this is what dot() should do, and I have
no use at all for the standard dot(). I like to type something
sensible, even interactively.

Of course I am not saying that I can't live with the current version
of dot(). But unless someone can give arguments why the current
version is *better* (or at least as good), I stick to my proposal.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-76.88.54.94
41, Ave. des Martyrs                   | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais