[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Just checking in

Rob.Hooft@embl-heidelberg.de Rob.Hooft@embl-heidelberg.de
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 17:50:06 +0200 (MET DST)

 >> All default axes are 0 Functions like fft, sort, argmax,
 >> ... should generally be called with an explicit axis specification
 >> of -1.  ie. fft(wave, axis=-1).  This explicit axis specification
 >> is only necessary when working on 2 or more dimensional arrays.

 KH> I still think that a two-class system (structural functions with
 KH> a default axis of zero, others with a default of 1) is the better
 KH> solution.

I agree that it might be a bit of a nuisance to give "axis" arguments.
But I prefer readability over writability myself, and the difference
between structural versus other functions is not clear to me yet....

 KH> But I mainly write to express dissatisfaction with the way dot()
 KH> works now. I have been doing some matrix work recently, and not
 KH> being able to use dot() for matrix multiplication is a real
 KH> nuisance. I ended up redefining dot() to be LinAlg._dot2, which
 KH> is exactly the kind of thing to be avoided.

Why don't you define a MatrixMultiply routine that calls LinAlg._dot2?
You don't need to redefine dot, do you?

Rob
--
=== Rob.Hooft@EMBL-Heidelberg.DE   http://www.Sander.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE/rob/ ==