[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] naming conventions

Michael McLay mclay@eeel.nist.gov
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 11:26:19 GMT

Jim Hugunin writes:

 > Also, I've decided to change the names of the precision functions
 > (previously Float, Integer, and Complex)
 >
 > complexcode(32)
 > floatcode(32)
 > intcode(16)

Thank you for making this change.  The inclusion of the actual size
will make it clear that the same size numbers will be used on all
machines and it eliminates the need to remember the size names that
are abstract.  I am curious why the new notation looks like a function
call.  There should be a fairly short list of names needed.  Could it
be done  as a constant like complexcode32 complexcode64?  That would
be easier to type.  Also, isn't the code workd redundant?  How about
shortening the names to something like:

Float  -> float32
double -> float64
Integer -> int32