[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Are we talking about one thing or two?

Hinsen Konrad hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 16:10:49 -0400

   Easy - a more general concept might require me to worry about extra
   things that I'm not interested in (like the number of dimensions, or
   the "rank" that J uses).  These things are not interesting and can only
   cause problems by being there to make mistakes on.  We will end u
   writing a wrapper that gives us the interface we want and hides the

But it doesn't, as several decades of APL experience have shown. I
know several APL users who are doing linear-algebra type things and
are not even aware of the existence of higher-dimensional arrays.
Your "wrapper" would only map some operations on "matrices" on
exactly the same operations on "arrays" and leave out some others.
That's just an unnecessary complication.

Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: hinsenk@ere.umontreal.ca
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. A                | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)