[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Are we talking about one thing or two?

Dave Forrest forrest@rose.rsoc.rockwell.com
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 14:45:10 -0500

     > From owner-matrix-sig@python.org Wed Sep 13 12:46 CDT 1995
 [snip]

     >    Why?  For practical reasons.  We here - and I would submit that many
     >    other organizations are like this - do more Matlab-like work.  The way
     >    Matlab defines a matrix is not a problem but a huge advantage for us.
     >
     > But in what way would a more general concept be a disadvantage?

Easy - a more general concept might require me to worry about extra
things that I'm not interested in (like the number of dimensions, or
the "rank" that J uses).  These things are not interesting and can only
cause problems by being there to make mistakes on.  We will end up
writing a wrapper that gives us the interface we want and hides the
things that we're not interested in - but since we're not the only ones
who want this and it would be more efficiently done as an intrinsic
part of the language I think that's the right thing to do.