[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Release 0.20 of matrix object is available

Jim Fulton, U.S. Geological Survey jfulton@usgs.gov
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 10:16:20 -0500

On Dec 11,  9:32am, Hinsen Konrad wrote:
> Subject: Re: [PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Release 0.20 of matrix object is availabl
>
>    It is necessary for names to be unique without regard to case.  That is,
>    although Python is case sensitive, some of the operating systems it
functions
>    in are not, and since module names are found in the local file systems,
the
>    names like array and Array may conflict.
>
> Does that mean that Python doesn't do any clever filename mapping
> on sytems that do not support case distinction and/or long file names?
> I never checked, but I always assumed that it does something like
> the GNU library that maps Unix filenames to short DOS-style filenames
> (i.e. provide a mapping that is as unique as possible, even if that
> produces strange-looking filenames).
>
> So, in effect, Python modules names are restricted to 8 lower-case
> characters? That would create a few problems with the Python code I
> have produced so far...

Actually, the 8-character limit is not as serious, since:

1. For most dos/windows-3.1x programs, including python, long file names are
   automatically truncated, and

2. Windows NT and Windows-95 do not have the 8-character limitation.

Still, Windows-NT and Windows 95 are both case-insensitive, and when Python is
told to import "Spam", it will happily import from Spam.py, spam.py. SPAM.PY,

Jim