[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Release 0.20 of matrix object is available

Fredrik Lundh fredrik_lundh@ivab.se
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 16:14:15 +0100

> Does that mean that Python doesn't do any clever filename mapping
> on sytems that do not support case distinction and/or long file names?

As with most other things, Python leaves it to the underlying system
to handle this.

Would think that MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 is the worst case, where
filenames are _silently truncated_ to fit into the 8.3 scheme.  So
"import ContainerIO" will in look for "containe.py".  Since my editor
does the same, I have no problems when writing modules, as long as I
make sure that the 8 first characters are unique.

This is no problem under Windows 95/NT, even on FAT file systems, nor
on Macs.  Don't know about Amigas.

(Generally, I think its a bad idea to let lowercase and capitalized
versions of the same name mean different things.)

	/F