[Matplotlib-users] Transparency for pcolor slices in Axes3D plot

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Mar 20 11:48:26 EDT 2020

Thibaut Appel writes:
> Dear matplotlib users/developers,
>
> I struggle to set some transparency in an Axes3D plot with series of
> 2D-slices generated with pcolor. In spite of trying to set alpha, all the
> slices remain opaque. I've just posted the issue on stackoverflow <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60776103/how-to-enforce-transparency-for-pcolor-slices-within-axes3d-scope>,

That image -- the way the 0.45 layer is drawn as if it's in front of
the 0.40 layer -- illustrates a problem I've always had with Axes3D.
I didn't have trouble making them transparent, but Axes3D sometimes
makes the wrong decision about which layer is in front, so you get
the wrong translucency. I have an illustration of the problem at
http://shallowsky.com/blog/programming/matplotlib-3d-collection.html
I always meant to file a bug on it but never did.

Thibaut, I'm not sure why your alpha values aren't working, but you
might want to compare my demo (linked from that page) to see
what's different, since the alpha is working for me.

        ...Akkana