[Mailman3-dev] Flexible data storage

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Mar 15 17:03:31 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 16:56, Erez Zadok wrote:

> I take it you that over the years you got "a few" complaints about this? :-)

Yep, from admins and users.  There are several problems with the current
implementation.  It requires a site-list (the old situation of picking a
random list to send the reminders from sucked worse).  If your bounce
processing isn't smart enough, admins will get bombarded with bounce
backs.  Users complain bitterly about the cleartext passwords they get.
Most users /still/ can't figure out how to get themselves unsubscribed
from their lists (we get lots of replies which quote the whole password
reminder and ask us to unsub them).

Other than that, they work great. :)

The one potentially useful feature is that they can help identify dead
addresses, but I think (hope, pray) that with 2.1.5 we'll get a sensible
enough bounce processing algorithm that piggybacking it on password
reminders won't be necessary.

> Actually I like that feature.  What I don't like is that the reminders all
> come on the same day by default.  It's easy to fix it if MM2 would just pick
> a random day to stick in the cron job; or better yet, that this would be a
> configurable feature.
>
> I don't like losing features in newer releases, just b/c they're annoying to
> _some_ people.  It is useful to others.  You could turn off the reminder by
> default, and allow an admin to set it to some frequency as they see fit.

Do you think a password reminder that comes from
noreply at lists.example.com, throws away bounces, and doesn't include
plain text passwords would still be useful?

-Barry