[Ironpython-users] WP7 & Silverlight Support in IronPython

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 19:40:57 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Vernon Cole <vernondcole at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am really sorry to hear about this happening. The combination of
> IronPython and Silver(Moon)light was going to be (I thought) my ticket to
> writing Python code rather than Javascript for browser based code.  So: My
> question for the group -- is Jython a viable alternative?  Do we think that
> SL5 will not continue to be shipped for a very long time?  I'm thinking that
> SL5 is still the best option for maintainable code on a browser, and we
> should continue to support it.

Just to be clear, nothing has been decided yet. I do appreciate the
concern of those who bet on SL only to get blindsided by MS's internal
turf wars.

However, each additional platform that is supported requires a fair
bit of effort, especially in getting the test suites (which are a mess
right now) up to date. My interests are on the desktop and Android,
and maybe WinRT. Even though SL is a marginal increase over that, it's
still something, and I just don't have the time or interest to do it.
I'll leave it in future 2.7 releases (dropping SL4 but keeping SL5),
but I'm not sure about 3.0. 3.0 is enough a break anyway that dropping
old stuff might be possible.

Ultimately, I'll leave it up to the community: someone(s) will have to
commit to maintaining the SL port in 3.0, including coming up with and
implementing a test strategy, watching for build failures, etc.
Basically, being the people to talk to about IronPython/SL.

- Jeff