[IronPython] MAPI & IronPython

Mike Driscoll mdriscoll at co.marshall.ia.us
Thu Apr 7 22:42:15 CEST 2011

On 4/7/2011 3:23 PM, users-request at lists.ironpython.com wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:52:10 -0700
> From: "Daniel D."<dvdotsenko at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion of IronPython<users at lists.ironpython.com>
> Subject: Re: [IronPython] MAPI&  IronPython
>
> Somehow I think you meant to say IMAP, not MAPI.
>
> Thunderbird cannot talk MAPI. It must be IMAP. In that case, it's
> easer, but you still need a lib that talks IMAP. Python has imaplib
> modue that even supports SSLed connections.

I don't think so. If you go to HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
Thunderbird and look at their DLL key, you'll see something like this:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\mozMapi32_InUse.dll

To me, that says they include some implementation of Mapi to be
compatible with Office, Adobe and whoever else uses the Send to Email
menu option. IMAP has nothing to do with it. I suspect that I can have
Thunderbird set up to SMTP and POP and it will behave the same way
because it needs MAPI for the Send To.

- Mike