[IronPython] IronPy Tools for VS - Projects

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Sun May 2 20:46:43 CEST 2010

Steve wrote:
> So, love having IronPy Tools (download from www.ironpython.net/tools/
> for those who missed it) and very keen to help make it the best Python
> IDE out there (and frankly, it's almost there already IMHO).
>
> My first issue is with the project setup. While I really like it
> automatically pulling in all my .py files/folders (since that is how
> Python is going to handle it) I'm not so keen on every other file
> coming in. I regularly run in CPython, which puts .pyc files
> everywhere and all of these appear in the Solution Explorer. I'm
> working out of a Subversion repository, and all my .svn folders also
> appear.
>
> It's a matter of clutter rather than a show-stopper, but from my
> experiences with MPFProj 9.0 it is just as easy to let code files be
> tracked by the project rather than the file system. I note that
> packages are given a different icon, so if the 'Show All Files' button
> is soon to be enabled (to hide everything that isn't a package) that
> is completely sufficient.

It's actually more work to let them be tracked by the file system as
we have to do that ourselves :)

The difficult problem here is that obviously you want all .py files but
there are non-.py files that you might want to include as well.  I'm
thinking .txt files, image files which you can edit in VS, etc...

We have a plan to add the ability to hide individual files.  Maybe we
need to have a set of wildcards which get excluded?  We could even
have them both as project-level options as well as a VS-level option.

> Second, I have a suggestion for dealing with __init__.py files. I have
> not heard any definitive statement on whether to include code in
> __init__.py files or not, but I am aware that it is done and my
> current project has primary base classes for each package in the
> __init__.py files, resulting in having multiple such files open.
>
> My own 'Python tools' (for VS2008, never made it beyond private use)
> automatically adds the package name to the caption of __init__.py
> files (as shown in
> http://zooba.byteclub.net/files/2010/05/ipytool-initname.png) through
> a couple of overrides on the FileNode object. I am happy to provide
> this code if desired/appropriate.
>
> There also appears to be some interesting things going on with the
> outlining region tagger, but I'm sure these have been noted already.

There were some bugs here and I thought we fixed them all.  Can you
give a little more detail?