[IronPython] If not IronPython, what?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Aug 23 10:25:35 CEST 2010

  On 23/08/2010 05:51, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Tristan Zajonc<tristanz at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> The popularity of the JVM and the CLR suggest not everybody agrees with your
>> assessment.
> A lot of the 'popularity' comes from people who shouldn't be making
> the choice.  I work for a company where the management think dot net
> will end poverty, fix global warming and bring world peace while
> ensuring they grab more of the market than our competition.
>
> Every thing has to be dot net to these people, none of whom know what
> a VM is.    It has to be dot net because microsoft sales people tell
> them so.

Well, if languages based on VMs that compile to an intermediate
representation first and then interpret bytecode are *bad* then that
sends CPython out of the window too...

Of course both .NET and the JVM have kick-ass JIT compilers, so maybe it
is having a JIT compiler that is bad? That makes CPython good but PyPy
and Unladen Swallow bad (along with IronPython and Jython of course). Hmm...

The cross-platform story for .NET is not brilliant, with Mono constantly
playing catch-up and only just switching away from a leaks-like-hell
garbage collector. Other than that the "technical arguments" that have
been presented against .NET in this thread are poor.

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/