[IronPython] If not IronPython, what?

Rob Brown-Bayliss r.brown.bayliss at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 04:51:24 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Tristan Zajonc <tristanz at gmail.com> wrote:
> The popularity of the JVM and the CLR suggest not everybody agrees with your
> assessment.

A lot of the 'popularity' comes from people who shouldn't be making
the choice.  I work for a company where the management think dot net
will end poverty, fix global warming and bring world peace while
ensuring they grab more of the market than our competition.

Every thing has to be dot net to these people, none of whom know what
a VM is.    It has to be dot net because microsoft sales people tell
them so.

Fortunately I can use Ironpython because it has the dot net magic.
Unfortunately I cant use cpython because it's just not magic.

I agree with Vernon, a VM that basically (I know about mono, but it's
always going to be playing catch up) only runs on Windows is a stupid
idea.  But as long as people who don't know what they are talking
about are running the show thats how it will be.

--

Rob