[IronPython] Office add-in with IronPython?

Jimmy Schementi Jimmy.Schementi at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 20 10:29:08 CEST 2010

Mats,

The way to write a Office add-in is to create one in a static .NET language, like C#, and then use the DLR hosting APIs to run Python code, which would also involve exposing whatever Office APIs to script code. I believe VS Pro and above support creating new Office add-in projects, so getting started there should be easy if you have the proper tools. Then getting that add-in to host Python code is just a matter of getting familiar with the DLR hosting API, which you can do by reading the spec (http://dlr.codeplex.com/Project/Download/FileDownload.aspx?DownloadId=97301) and looking at the "BadPaint" sample (http://ironpython.codeplex.com/releases/view/36280#DownloadId=116523) which shows how to embed IronPython in a C# app.

Good luck!

~Jimmy