[IronPython] Default install location and site-packages

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Oct 6 19:37:41 CEST 2009

Jeff Hardy wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Michael Foord
> <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> The first succeeds, naturally. Are you saying that it would be *more*
>> surprising if the second succeeded?
>>

> It should be surprising - a limited user should *never* be able to
> install software into a shared location. The fact that it works for
> CPython is a bug, not a feature. I would totally expect to have to
> elevate to install a package; IIRC, it's the norm on *nix machines to
> need to sudo to write to site-packages.

You can try raising a bug against CPython for this, but I *imagine* you
will get short-shrift (although in the presence of PEP 370 I am willing
to be surprised).

So the question is, how important is CPython compatibility in regard to
this behaviour?

Perhaps IronPython could make PEP 370 site-packages the *default*?

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog