[IronPython] Default install location and site-packages

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 19:34:38 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> The first succeeds, naturally. Are you saying that it would be *more*
> surprising if the second succeeded?

It should be surprising - a limited user should *never* be able to
install software into a shared location. The fact that it works for
CPython is a bug, not a feature. I would totally expect to have to
elevate to install a package; IIRC, it's the norm on *nix machines to
need to sudo to write to site-packages.

Limited users should only be able to write to a per-user site-packages
(I think this is what virtualenv is supposed to accomplish, but
virtualenv has always been a mystery to me). It's no different that a
limited user being able to install into the GAC.

- Jeff