[IronPython] v1.1 IronPython.CodeDom.PythonProvider

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 30 20:16:19 CET 2009

Just to comment on this - pyc has always behaved quite differently then how the CodeDom compilation support worked.  The CodeCom compilation support in particular was a hack so that we could support ASP.NET as it usually behaves.  It was also fairly buggy and we didn't bring it forward to 2.6.  The big difference between the two is that pyc produces code which IronPython can load while CodeDom produced a .NET assembly with specific types declared in specific namespaces based upon how the code was laid out.  You could then load this assembly and instantiate those types and they'd still behave like Python types.

If we brought this back I think we'd want to do a better job on it then we did in 1.x and it'd be a fair amount of work.  Feel free to file a feature request on CodePlex and have people vote on it if there's general interest in seeing it again.