[IronPython] pywin32 on Iron Python?

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 18:00:03 CEST 2009

This is an opinion poll...

The portion of pywin32 which I maintain, adodbapi, will work in either
CPython or IronPython. That was (relatively) easy, since it is written in
pure Python.

Pywin32 is a complete package which allows a python programmer to perform
many Windows systems administration functions, or use native Windows
features easily in an application program.  While anything which can be done
in pywin32 can also be done (perhaps with more difficulty) using .NET code,
it seems that it would be convenient to have the same API available in
either environment.  This question is meaningful now, since work is starting
on a second edition of the book "Python Programming on Win32" and we would
like to know how much Iron Python information to include.

Is there any interest in forking the pywin32 C code into C# so that the
entire package can be run in a .NET environment using IronPython?
--
Vernon Cole