[IronPython] defined in multiple assemblies (framework 3.5)

Dody Gunawinata empirebuilder at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 19:46:56 CEST 2008

*"Error   16      'ExtensionAttribute' is ambiguous in the namespace
'System.Runtime.* *CompilerServices'.      InternalXmlHelper.vb"*

Change your setting from treating warning as error to None.

*"The predefined type
'System.Runtime.**CompilerServices.**ExtensionAttribute' is defined in
multiple assemblies in the global alias"
*
Yup. *This is the only namespace that I cannot change without blowing stuff
up.* I went through the same cycle as you. Tried everything and this is the
best I can do for now, a compiler warning for one single attribute class.
It's fine for now. My CMS backend is now on Beta 4.

But yeah, this makes it hard to recommend people to use IronPython in their
web application right now. Too much caveat. I think this will get fixed
eventually because the MVC ASP.Net guys will have to deal with the same
thing as well.

For your scripting choice, DLR still has the best hosting interface so far.
I've tried phallanger, boo and Lua integration integration before - too much
work.

Dody G.

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:28 PM, Fernando Correia <
fernandoacorreia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dody, I am checking out if a fork of IronPython can work with the 3.5
> framework inside a website. I tried your version and it seems to
> eliminate almost all the warnings and errors I had. But there is one
> left.
>
> In your sample website I get this:
>
> The predefined type
> 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExtensionAttribute' is defined in
> multiple assemblies in the global alias
>
> On my website using your DLL I also get this:
>
> Error   16      'ExtensionAttribute' is ambiguous in the namespace
> 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices'.      InternalXmlHelper.vb
>
> I tried to change the namespace of the ExtensionAttribute class but
> then I get errors in Extension.cs and CollectionUtils.cs in code like
> this:
>
> internal static ReadOnlyCollection<T> ToReadOnly<T>(this
> IEnumerable<T> enumerable) { ...
>
> Then I tried (again) to convert Microsoft.Scripting.Core and
> Microsoft.Scripting to the 3.5 framework but the impact seems too
> great. I fixed hundreds of compile errors that were raised but gave
> up.
>
> I'm also worried that this namespace changing in
> Microsoft.Scripting.Core may never end, as future DLLs that are
> incorporated in the website may raise other duplications between
> Microsoft.Scripting.Core and System.Core.
>
> Any hint?
>

> 2008/8/21 Dody Gunawinata <empirebuilder at gmail.com>:
> > This is the source with modified Microsoft.Scripting.Core.
> >
> http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_status&batch_id=Q01IYUl1YStxRTJ4dnc9PQ
> >
> > This has minimalist changes only to that dll.

nomadlife.org