[IronPython] Announcing NWSGI

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 15:49:50 CET 2007

Hi Seo,

On Nov 13, 2007 8:29 PM, Sanghyeon Seo <sanxiyn at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't understand why "written in pure C#" is an advantage (given
> that you need Python engine to implement WSGI anyway), or why using
> Python is an disadvantage (after all Python is a better language than
> C#, isn't it? If it isn't why are you using WSGI?), but I guess it's a
> matter of opinion.
>
> Also note that writing most codes in Python neatly avoids any hosting
> API issues.
>
> I hope you best luck, but I strongly believe writing most codes in
> Python is the right implementation choice.

I'm not 100% convinced pure C# is a huge advantage either :). It does
have a few advantages, such as simplyfying deployment (slightly) - and
if all of the necessary assemblies are in the GAC, then deployment is
as simple as creating a web.config (on IIS 7, all of the editing could
be done with the GUI - you wouldn't even need to see the web.config).
Also, I believe that if the hosting API can't handle this easily, then
there are problems with the hosting API.

That said, I'm not religious about it, which is why I've avoided
making any judgement as to which is approch is "better". It's a lot of
work to get a small advantage when deploying, and if it proves to be
too much effort I'll just give up and port yours to IP 2. I don't
think that will have to be case, based on what I've done so far.

- Jeff