[IronPython] pybench results for CPython and IronPython

M. David Peterson xmlhacker at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 15:04:25 CEST 2007

I agree, Boo is a nice language, but given its foundation as a
statically-typed language it's not exactly a one-to-one comparison.

Of course you can always use the duck type capabilities to gain a
similar dynamic effect, but even a Boo duck type doesn't provide a
fair one-to-one as you still have to declare it as a duck type, and
once you do, the performance advantage gained from the static
compilation is obviously lessened.

Anybody happen to know of a similar benchmark comparison between
CPython and the duck type-based Boo equivalent?  And has anybody taken
the time to quantify how much benefit is gained in developer
productivity due to the rapid prototyping and interactive capabilities
provided to the .NET developer at runtime?

If for no other reason (and there are quite a few other reasons), the
fact that with IronPython I can quickly and easily move from idea >
through the thought process > and into a working prototype in about
the same amount of time it takes to open up Visual Studio and create a
new project is worth each and every additional cycle, cycles which can
easily be gained back by writing the production app in C# (or Boo, for
that matter) once things have solidified into something a bit more
production worthy.

Just food for thought, but if we're going to compare apples and
oranges lets at least take a bite out of the apple and peel the orange
before making a determination as to which one is preferable, and why.