[IronPython] IronPython 0.9 released

Martin Maly martmaly at exchange.microsoft.com
Thu Aug 4 21:19:51 CEST 2005

Hi Lorenzo,

Since the .Net 2.0 final has not yet been released, we continue to product our builds on .NET 2.0 Beta 2 which was publicly released and is, in our opinion, most widely adopted by our users. As soon as .Net 2.0 ships its final version, IronPython will start using that build to run on. The known issue I was referring to is caused by the fact that IronPython was caught betwen two different .Net 2.0 public preview releases - Beta 2 and Community Technology Preview. We decided to stay with Beta 2 as the version to work with out of the box (you can still compile IronPython on the Technology preview of.Net and run it just fine). As I said, come the final release of .Net 2.0, IronPython will move forward to run on that out of the box. This may mean some necessary changes in the IronPython code base (so far there are none required, but there may be some) but obviously, it is the right thing to do.

As for running IronPython on .Net 1.1 ... currently IronPython doesn't run on 1.1 and we are currently thinking whether we should create version of IronPython that would run on .Net 1.1. It would mean that some IronPython features may not be available on .Net 1.1 but it may be useful for some users who for some reason may not be switching to .Net 2.0 immediately. We haven't reached decision on this one yet and it would be interesting to hear feedback as to how important having a version if IronPython running on .Net 1.1 is for you.

I hope I didn't miss anything and this answers your question.

Martin